Depression | Mechanism | Type | Causes | Symptoms | Ayurved | Advice | Home Remedies | Yoga
Anxiety Disorder(चिंता विकार) / Depression(डिप्रेशन)
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) patients suffer from excessive(अत्यधिक), unrealistic worry that lasts through six months or more; the issues could be health, money, career problems, or just about anything. Its symptoms could include trembling (कंपना), muscular aches (मांसपेशियों में दर्द), insomnia/sleep disorders (अनिद्रा / नींद संबंधी विकार), abdominal upsets (पेट की गड़बड़ियों), dizziness (चक्कर आना), irritability (चिड़चिड़ापन) and poor concentration (कमज़ोर एकाग्रता).
This process is thought to depend upon prefrontal mechanisms, lesioning of medial prefrontal cortical (mPFC) areas in particular having been shown to disrupt extinction. Recently, it has been argued that these frontal mechanisms are especially crucial to the recall of fear extinction and active inhibition of previously conditioned fear responses. This is thought to involve prefrontal downregulation of amygdala output, with mPFC neurons exciting GABAergic neurons within the basolateral complex of the amygdala or the nearby intercalated cells (ITC), and these, in turn, inhibiting output from the central nucleus of the amygdale.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder( सामान्यीकृत चिंता विकार)
- Social Phobia (सामाजिक भय)
- Panic Disorder (पैनिक डिसऑर्डर)
- Agoraphobia (भीड़ से डर लगना)
- Phobias (भय)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (पोस्ट-ट्रॉमेटिक स्ट्रेस डिसऑर्डर)
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (जुनूनी बाध्यकारी विकार)
The various biological, psychological, and social factors that may cause Anxiety Disorder include: Heredity, Brain chemistry, Personality and Life experiences.
- Feelings of apprehension or dread (आशंका या भय की भावनाओं)
- Trouble concentrating (मुसीबत ध्यान केंद्रित)
- Feeling tense and jumpy
- Anticipating the worst (सबसे खराब आशंका)
- Irritability (चिड़चिड़ापन)
- Watching for signs of danger (खतरे के संकेत के लिए देखना)
- Feeling like your mind’s gone blank
- Sleep disturbances
- Dry mouth
- Feeling of panic, fear & uneasiness
- Cold or sweaty extremities
Ayurveda, which takes a comprehensive view of an individual's physical, emotional and spiritual conditions, attributes anxiety disorder symptoms to aggravated prana (प्राण) vata (वात), a subsidiary of vata dosha (वात दोष) which is associated with worry, anxiety and depression. Prana vata weakens the nervous system and triggers mental imbalance. It also weakens the neuro-hormonal system and nerve impulses. Ayurvedic treatment of anxiety disorder would involve curbing aggravated prana vata and increasing sattva guna, which envisages a stable and peaceful mind through self-realization and self-control, and appropriate changes in diet and lifestyle.
Breathing exercises: Mind has a very close relation with breathing. A person has short and shallow breathing when anxious or stressed and has deep breathing when relaxed and happy. Next time you become stressed, watch your breathing. Try to slow it down. Take a relaxed position and breathe deep using the abdomen muscles. Let the diaphragm expand while breathing in, and contract while breathing out. This will immediately relax you and reduce anxiety attacks. Exercise, meditation, relaxation techniques and Yoga postures are also recommended.
- Take grated fresh coconut (नारियल) 10g, paste of 2-3 almonds (बादाम) (soaked for 6 to 7 hours and peeled), powdered fennel seeds (सौंफ के बीज) 5g , black pepper powder 2g, and powdered rock candy or raw sugar 20g. Mix all the ingredients and drink with saffron (काली मिर्च पाउडर) milk. To prepare saffron milk (केसर दूध), soak 5 to 6 threads of saffron in one teaspoon of milk for 5 to 6 hours. Chew well and eat.
- Have 1 teaspoonful of licorice root (मुलैठी की जड़) powder with water empty stomach in the morning. This is mentioned as a medhya rasayana in Ayurveda i.e. a mind rejuvenator.
- Add some fresh rose petals in a cup of boiling water. Keep it aside till it is lukewarm. Add ½ teaspoonful of sugar to it and have this twice a day. This is a good drink to uplift mood.
- Fresh fruits, fruit juices, vegetables (raw or cooked or boiled), vegetable juices, sprouts, nuts, dry fruits, honey, milk, ghee, fresh butter, and buttermilk are the best to increase sattva and enrich the mind. Try to cut down, or if possible stop, the use of black tea, coffee, white flour products, chocolates, white sugar products, deep fried foods, hot spices, meat, fish, and eggs. Such restrictions benefit in anxiety disorders.
- Sun Salutation 12 + 2
- Shavasana (corpse pose)
- Bhujangasana (cobrea pose - straight hand + bent hand)
- Shalabhasana (locust pose)
- Dhanurasana (bow pose) 3 rounds
- Sarwangasana (shoulder stand)
- Halasana (plough pose)
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (half spinal twist)
- Akarna Dhanurasana Type 1, Akarna Dhanurasana Type 2
- Trikonasana (Triangle) from both sides
- Agnisar (stimulating fire technique)
- Uddiyan Bandha (abdominal lock)
- Kapalabhati 5 rounds of 1 min, each
- Shavasana (corpse pose)
- Anulom Vilom Deep breathing OR Right nostrill purak & Bhramari Rechak
- Ujjayi Breathing